Friday, January 3, 2014

Books To Look Forward to in 2014

Although I think that every year will be a good year for reading, I see 2014 as an especially spectacular one. Many of my favorite authors are publishing new books, and there's a lot of really exciting stuff out there. That said, here are the books that I'm looking forward to the most in 2014!

The Blood of Olympus, Rick Riordan

I have always and will always read everything that Rick Riordan writes. Percy Jackson is so unique and funny and wonderful that he deserves to be known as one of the best YA writers of the last decade but I think that the Heroes of Olympus series is his best work. Maybe it's because the characters are closer to my age, but I like the way that his writing has evolved as his characters have aged. the novels are longer and more complex, the subject matter more mature and more intense, but the still feel like the Rick Riordan we know and love. After the chaos of the last few books in the series, I have an equal mix of excitement and dread for this final book. I'm sure it'll be spectacular but probably also heart wrenching and wild.
          October 7, 2014.

We Were Liars, E. Lockhart

This one I've actually already read but I think that the internet and best seller lists are going to explode when it's released. E. Lockhart has written another intricate masterpiece, and proven her brilliance yet again. I was struck by every little detail in this novel, from the little epithets about the characters to the swoon and the intricate plot. The story was so well crafted and all of the characters created so carefully that everything comes together perfectly. I have an enormous amount of respect for E. Lockhart's versatility, from Frankie Landau-Banks (one of the best YA novels ever) to the Boy Book series, which I enjoyed immensely, to this incredible piece of work. I see this as the book of 2014.
                                            May 13, 2014

Ruins, Dan Wells
                 
 I have told many people that I was shocked by my enjoyment of the first Partials book. When I read the description, it didn't sound like my cup of tea, but for some reason that I don't recall exactly, I decided to give it a try and I am very happy that I did. I read the first two books in one sitting each, and I think that their unique storyline and inventive world are well executed. I am very much looking forward to this third installment, and I expect   that it will be just as good as the other two. Let's see if Kira can manage to bridge the gap between humans and Partials, save both species and final understand who she really is.
                                    March 11, 2014

The Young Elites, Marie Lu

This one doesn't have a cover just yet but it has a title and a teaser of a summary. It sounds like another intense fantasy/dystopia by Marie Lu so naturally, I would do anything to get my hands on it. I have long been an advocate of the Legend series, and I thought she did a terrific job carrying the momentum through the series and creating a dystopian trilogy that was different from anything else on the market. Therefore, I am eagerly awaiting the fall release of this one to get started on another series by her, especially because I'm still sad that the other one had to end.

The Geography of You and Me, Jennifer E. Smith

I have always been known to fall for at least a few contemporary romance novels each year, and Jennifer E. Smith captured my imagination with just the titles and covers of each of her books let alone the cute and imaginative stories. The characters were fun and entertaining and not always perfect, which is a good quality in a YA narrative. Both stories were just a little bit outside the realm of everyday possibility but in a way that just made them all the better. Props to her, and I think that this new one will just add to the legacy that she's creating as one of the best new YA romance writers, right up there with Stephanie Perkins and Sarah Dessen.
                April 15, 2014

Isla and the Happily Ever After, Stephanie Perkins
                                                      
Speaking of Stephanie Perkins and my undying love of her work, the conclusion to her group of companion novels (I won't call them a series) is finally appearing in print. I feel like I've been waiting for this series for eternity, but I will love her books forever and this is probably the book that I'm looking forward to the most. (Except for those written by a certain Ms. Stiefvater). I fell rapidly in love with every character in each of her books and I am one of those people that felt almost equally besotted with Anna and Lola, plus the Anna/ Etienne appearance in Lola made me cry with happiness. My expectations for this conclusion are high, and although I will probably cry when it ends, I will probably also reread it so many times that it won't ever really end.
         March 13, 2014





Sinner  and Raven Boys III, Maggie Stiefvater


As I mentioned before, I think Maggie Stiefvater's books will top my list in 2014. I really think she's the goddess of YA literature and I would follow her to the ends of the Earth. (Do you hear that Maggie?! I'm a willing participant for a trip to the end of the Earth in your hell tinged Camaro!!) Sinner sounds brilliant, and, as Cole and Isabelle were always sort of my favorite Shiver characters, I think the idea of a story wrapping up their loose ends is a magnificent undertaking. I'm certain that this will live up to anticipation and I think the fact that she waited until she felt that she had a story is a good indicator of the care that went into its writing. Better than that though, is the anticipation of the third book in the Raven Cycle. I have not read the first two books more times than those of any other series, and the characters feel like my family. I am eagerly RAVENOUSLY awaiting the release of this third book, which I will probably read more than ten times in 2014.
            Sinner- July 1, 2014, RBIII- Probably September 2014

Grasshopper Jungle, Andrew Smith


People on the internet are already buzzing about Andrew Smith's new book, although it's not out for another month. This seems like a promising sign. Yesterday, I said that his book Winger was one of the best and most unique books that I read in 2014, and from what I've heard about this one, it will live up to that legacy. It sounds a little eccentric and a lot fun and I think that it could be another step in revolutionizing YA lit. His novels depart from every norm that YA has, and he is forging a path into new territory. This one looks enormously fun and tremendously memorable, and I won't be surprised if I don't get anything done on February 11 because I'm busy reading.
          February 11, 2014





Revealed, Margaret Peterson Haddix

This one doesn't have a cover yet, but it does have a title and it does have my massive anticipation. I have long been a disciple of Ms. Haddix, and I think that this series is her best work. Her research is impeccable and the storyline is fascinating and well thought out. Before each book, I find myself trying to imagine what historical period they could be sent to next, and also what Jonah's true identity is. I recommend these books to people all of the time, often using the completely true selling point that I'm still reading them even though I'm not an 8-12 anymore. The stories are complex and full of twists that are shocking and gut wrenching and brilliantly executed. Gosh, now I'm stuck daydreaming about where they could go next......
         Supposedly appearing in February 2014, despite the lack of a cover

To All the Boys I've Loved Before, Jenny Han

To say that I'm excited about this book would be an understatement. I feel head over heels for her from the first page, first glimpse, of The Summer I Turned Pretty and I've enjoyed everything that she's written since. The premise of this one sounds light hearted and real and funny and I think it's going to be one of the best new contemporary romances of the year. The idea of accidentally mailing letters to past crushes hits home in weird ways (sending draft texts to boys accidentally, whoops) and I have faith that she'll be able to pull it off well.
        April 22, 2013








There's my roundup of the books I'm most looking forward to this year, each of which promises that this will be a good year for YA. Any that I missed? Post them in the comments, I wouldn't want to miss anything good!




No comments:

Post a Comment